Hospital Mania – Round 2

Around our house, some weeks are pretty slow, monotonous, and boring.  Some weeks are pretty eventful, full, and crazy.  This past week was the latter.

Our schedule has been pretty packed meeting with people and sharing about our move to NYC, which has been exciting, fun, and pretty amazing to see God work.  On Wednesday, though, right after an appointment, our week took a slightly different turn.

At the appointment, we noticed that Blake was acting real fussy and grunted a few times like he was constipated.  When we left, on the way home, Ed observed that he was breathing fast and pulling in hard to breathe.  We grabbed dinner, came home, and continued to watch him, realizing that the grunting was actually him taking deep breaths to try and keep up.  So, in an effort to avoid the ER after 5 on a weekday, we took him to Urgent Care.  They rushed us back, gave him a breathing treatment, and watched him.  After seeing no change, they made us go straight to the ER (wanted us to take an ambulance but we vetoed that expense).

After waiting forever at the ER (there was a reason we were avoiding it after 5 on a weekday), they brought us back and noticed how fast and hard he was breathing and that he had a wet cough.  They also gave us a breathing treatment, a steroid, and gave him medicine to bring his high fever down.  After watching us for a long time in the ER, the doctor diagnosed him with bronchiolitis (not sure if it was RSV or not as they didn’t test him for it since the treatment is the same) and said he is more susceptible because of having it when he was 7 weeks old.  The doctor said “Well, he is not well enough to go home, but he is not well enough to stay”.  What does that mean for us then?

After talking with the doctors, we decided that it was best to keep him to observe him overnight to make sure his breathing didn’t get worse.  After spending the night on the pediatric floor and noticing that his breathing hadn’t improved but hadn’t gotten worse, they sent us home to watch him from there.  He had a little breathing spell Saturday where we worried we may have to take him back in, but his breathing slowed down and we stayed away from the dreaded ER.  He does have a lingering cough that could last a few weeks, but since that night it all happened, no coughing and no super fast breathing.  I am not 100% convinced that there isn’t some asthma or allergy stuff mixed in, since there were no previous cold symptoms and haven’t been any after that night.  But hey, what do I know?

We are thankful for doctors, we are thankful for prayers, and we are thankful he didn’t worsen and hasn’t had to go back to the hospital.  After staying overnight twice in the last month, I told Blake that if he had to go back, he could drive himself 🙂  Also, do you know how difficult it is to deal with a 16 month old in the hospital who is sick but not super sick and doesn’t act like they are super sick?  Man, its a beast.  Add to it staying up past bedtime and albuterol which hypes them up, and we had a wild man on our hands.

Now could you pray that our family stays well and that we are able to continue going on appointments?  We had to cancel 2 because of the hospital mess, and while that is all fine, we don’t want to set a precedent of this happening.   Thanks for your prayers and texts and calls and concerns – we definitely felt cared for and loved.


Leave a Reply